This site contains sermons by Rev. Dan Harper, currently associate minister for religious education at the Unitarian Universalist Church of Palo Alto, California.
These sermons cover guest preaching and sermons delivered while in the following positions: Director of Religious Education, First Parish, Lexington, Mass., 1997-2002; supply preacher, First Church Unitarian of Athol, Mass., 2002-2003; Assistant Minister of Religious Education, Unitarian Universalist Church of Berkeley, Kensington, California, 2003-2004; Interim Associate Minister, Unitarian Universalist Society of Geneva, Illinois, 2004-2005; Parish Minister, First Unitarian Church of New Bedford, Massachusetts, 2005-2009; Associate Minister for Religious Education, Unitarian Universalist Church of Palo Alto, California, 2009-present.
This archive of sermons (and other worship services) is online for my own convenience. The majority of my sermons are here — the good ones, the bad ones, and the confused ones. However, please note the following:
- Some sermons exist in manuscript form only (typescript or handwritten), in which case only the title and date of the sermon appears on this Web site. At some point, I hope to type or scan/OCR these older sermons, but don’t hold your breath.
- Some sermons are password protected, because they were bad or boring enough I just didn’t want to put them out there for everyone to read. You’ll know when you hit one because it will prompt you for a password. Sure, you could use your hacker skills to get around the password, but really you’d be wasting your time.
- One or two early sermons are missing and completely gone due to various computer issues over the years. I don’t even have titles for these, so they are not listed at all.
- Every once in a while, I preach the same sermon to one or more other congregations (e.g., for pulpit exchanges). Even though I substantially rewrite every sermon every time I preach it, I do not include all such rewrites here.
- Finally, I’m sure there are some sermons that are completely missing because I simply forgot to enter them.
Using these sermons
Once in a blue moon, someone asks me if they can use these sermons. Yes, but only if you use one of the good ones!
Seriously, though — as I understand the fair use provisions of the copyright laws, you have the right to make a copy of any of these sermons for your own personal use, so you don’t need my permission for that. Further, my minimal understanding of copyright law seems to indicate that you don’t need permission to preach any sermon, provided you do not record that sermon in any form for later distribution. Therefore, without giving up any of the rights granted me under copyright law, I hereby grant permission for anyone to preach these sermons to any Unitarian Universalist congregation, group, or household, provided that you do not record the sermon for later distribution, or distribute it in printed form. (If you don’t want to be accused of plagiarizing, it would also be wise to tell people that it was I, and not you, who wrote the sermon.)
All sermons and all stories, and all other texts written by me in this sermon archive, are copyright (c) 1996-2012 Daniel Harper. All copyright laws and regulations apply.
Sorry, but I do not have time to deal with comment spam on this site, so I have disabled comments.
The header photo shows coastal fog drifting in over the redwood forests of the Coastal Range near Camp Meeker, California. Photo by Dan Harper.